Washington State County Road Standards
About Road Standards
Chapter 35.78 RCW requires cities and counties to adopt uniform definitions and design standards for municipal streets and roads. Standards for arterials are set through RCW 35.78.030 and RCW 35.78.040 by a state design standards committee in cooperation with the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT). These uniform design standards apply to all new construction on major arterial and secondary arterial roads and streets and to reconstruction of such roads and streets as far as practicable. No deviation from the adopted design standards may be made without approval of the state aid engineer.
The County Road Administration Board (CRAB) sets administrative standards and provides oversight for the county road departments of each of the 39 counties, who are required by law to provide road design standards to WSDOT.
Washington County Road Standards
The following are selected examples of road standards from Washington counties.
- Chelan County Code Ch. 15.30 - Development Standards
- Douglas County Road Standards (), adopted 2006
- Franklin County Design Standards for the Construction of Roads and Bridges (), 2002
- King County Road Design and Construction Standards, 2007
- Kitsap County Road Standards (), adopted 2007
- Kittitas County Road Standards, Kittitas County Code Ch. 12 adopted 06/2004 - Includes proposed standards
- Lewis County Code Ch. 12.60 (), Road Development Standards
- Pend Oreille County Road Standards - Pend Oreille County Resolution No. 2007-41 ()
- Pierce County Code Title 17B () - Construction and Infrastructure Regulations Road and Bridge Design and Construction Standards
- Snohomish County Engineering Design & Development Standards (EDDS), 3rd Edition, updated 2004
- Spokane County Road Standards (), 2010
- Thurston County Road Standards (), 2007
- Whatcom County Road Standards, 05/2004
- Yakima County Standard Plans