Building Code/Permit Administration
Washington State statutes call for local jurisdictions (cities and counties) to require a building permit when any structural change or when alterations are made to an existing building or when any new construction is undertaken. (Separate permits for plumbing, mechanical and electrical work may also be required when applicable.) The State Building Code Council (SBCC) was created to advise the Legislature on building code issues and to develop the building codes used in Washington State. These codes help to ensure buildings and facilities constructed in the state are safe and healthy for building occupants, accessible to persons with disabilities and the elderly, and energy efficient.
The first set of links on this webpage, State Building Codes, contains the codes and regulations defining the requirements for proper building code and permit administration. The balance of the webpage contains links to city and county building code permitting and compliance webpages.
State Building Codes
Information Brochures and Bulletins
Automated Application and Tracking Systems
- Clark County Access Fax on Demand
- Federal Way Interactive Voice Response System for Inspections
- Kitsap County Online Permit Center
- MyBuildingPermit.com - MyBuildingPermit.com is sponsored by the eCityGov Alliance. The Alliance is a unique collaborative effort of the Washington State Cities of Bellevue, Bothell, Burien, Duvall, Issaquah, Kenmore, Kirkland, Mercer Island, Mill Creek, Sammamish, Snoqualmie, and Woodinville, and also includes Snohomish County.
- Pierce County Planning and Land Services Permitting Home Page
- Seattle Department of Planning and Development Online Services
Permitting Activity (Statistics)