Geographic Information Systems
Geographic information systems (GIS) are computer-based systems used to store, display, and analyze geographically referenced data, i.e., data identified according to their locations. GIS are also defined as computer-based mapping and information systems that enable the user to analyze geographic data in a variety of ways. GIS have a wide variety of applications for public works, planning and permitting, public safety, and other local government activities.
If you have information to share or are aware of other Web sites that we should link to, please contact Carol Tobin, Planning Consultant at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (206) 625-1300.
Basic GIS Information
Washington County and City GIS Services
The following are examples of GIS services offered by Washington local governments. These include interactive Web-based maps and maps and geographic data available for download. For a more complete list of GIS websites, see GIS Websites and Online Mapping Systems - Washington Cities and Counties, MRSC.
Internet GIS Viewer
- Ferndale - GIS Viewer
- King County
- Parcel Viewer - Interactive Property Research - Basic Assessor's data
- iMap - Interactive Mapping Tool
- NWMaps - Access to map-based information from Bellevue, Bothell, Issaquah, Kenmore, Kirkland, Mercer Island, Renton, Sammamish, Shoreline, Snoqualmie, Tukwila and Woodinville, provided by eCityGov Alliance
- Pierce County Neighborhood Crime Map
- Department of Planning and Development
- DPD GIS - Interactive maps using Seattle GIS data and Microsoft Virtual Earth. Includes option to click a parcel to view the parcel data.
- DPD Activity Locator - View permitting activity in Seattle from July 2005 to present, using Microsoft Virtual Earth
- My Neighborhood Map - Services and crime statistics by area
- Spokane County - SCOUT - Interactive mapping application
- Tacoma - govMe Map
- Walla Walla County - Interactive Map
GIS Data Downloads
Other GIS Services
The following are sample GIS agreements, ordinances, RFPs, and forms from Washington jurisdictions.
Washington State GIS
- Washington State Department of Ecology Geographic Information Systems - GIS maps in support of the agency's mission of protecting the land, air, and waters of the state
- Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife - Maps and Data Products - Interactive mapping includes SalmonScape, GoHunt, Priority Habitats and Species (PHS) on the Web, and Marine Bird Density Analysis
- Washington State Department of Health Geographic Information Systems
- Washington State Department of Natural Resources
- Washington State Department of Revenue - GIS Data Downloads - Tax data
- Washington State Department of Transportation
- Washington State Office of Financial Management - Get GIS Data - Population and Census information
- Washington State Geospatial Clearinghouse - Part of National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) national network
Public Disclosure GIS Issues
- Bothell Public Records Disclosure Policy & Procedures (), Administrative Orders, 06/21/2012
- Court Decision - Thomas Drummond v. City of Bellevue, King County Superior Court Case No. 93-2-22537-7 (1993). The city's GIS database systems were determined to be subject to full public disclosure and not a trade secret or subject to the Trade Secret Act (not available in electronic form)
- Geographic Information Systems Data Requested for Commercial or Non-commercial Purposes (), in Public Records Act for Washington Cities, Counties, and Special Purpose Districts, Report No. 61 Revised, June 2012
- Public Disclosure and GIS Digital Data in Washington (), David Rideout, Spokane County Public Works Department, Division of Engineering and Roads, Geographic Information Manager, WA-URISA Conference, 04/06/2004