Golf Course Facilities
Information on golf courses owned by Washington local governments was compiled from MRSC Library resources and from the State Auditor's Local Government Finance Reporting System (LGFRS). Where known, we have indicated if the golf course is operated by a management agreement with a private individual or company, or the facility has been leased out. Updates to the list of golf courses or copies of management agreements would be welcomed.
Washington Local Government Golf Courses
- Auburn Golf Course - Operated by the City of Auburn Parks, Arts & Recreation Department
- Bellevue Golf Course - Maintained by the City of Bellevue and managed by Premier Golf Center, LLC.
- Bellingham Lake Padden Golf Course - Commercial Lease, with Lake Padden Golf, LLC, 01/17/2008, term 10 years
- Bremerton Gold Mountain Golf Complex - Owned and operated by the City of Bremerton Parks & Recreation Department
- Chelan Lake Chelan Golf Course - Chelan Parks and Recreation Department
- Clark County Tri-Mountain Golf Course - Located in Ridgefield, managed by Billie Casper Golf Group
- Colfax Golf Course - Owned by the city; leased to private party
- Enumclaw Golf Course - Acquired from King County 2003. The Public Works Department oversees the operation of the course. Maintenance is managed by the Facilities Manager (a member Golf Course Superintendent Association of America) and conducted by one Golf Course Maintenance Worker, supplemented by temporary help.
- Everett Golf Courses - Everett's public golf courses, Legion Memorial and Walter Hall are maintained by the City of Everett and managed by Premier Golf Center, LLC
- Kent Riverbend Golf Complex - The Riverbend Golf Complex is owned and operated by the City of Kent
- Kennewick Columbia Park Golf Links - Managed by CourseCo, Inc.
- Longview Mint Valley Golf Course - Longview Parks and Recreation
- Lynnwood Municipal Golf Course - Lynnwood Parks and Recreation
- Marysville Cedarcrest Golf Course
- Mountlake Terrace Ballinger Lake Golf Course - The City acquired the special use park property in 1970 through donation with state and federal grants providing 25% of the total cost. The course is professionally managed by Hardy Golf, LLC.
- Ocean Shores Golf Course - Owned by city, operated by Ocean Shores Golf Club OSGC, Inc.
- Pasco Sun Willows Golf Course - Managed by CourseCo
- Pierce County Parks and Recreation Golf Courses
- Chambers Bay Golf Course - Managed by Kemper Sports
- Fort Steilacoom Golf Course - The course is built on 105 acres adjacent to the Western State Hospital in Lakewood, Washington on land leased through the Department of Natural Resources. Pierce County was asked by the State of Washington Department of Natural Resources to manage the site back in January 1971, with an agreement that runs through December 31, 2024. Pierce County has operated the facility as a public course and park since 1971. Premier Golf Centers, LLC provides clubhouse operations and concessionaire services
- Lake Spanaway Golf Course - Lake Spanaway Golf Course in Tacoma, Washington is maintained by the Parks and Recreation Services division of Pierce County and is managed by Premier Golf Centers LLC
- Pomeroy Golf Club - Managed/leased by private group
- Port Townsend Golf Club - Leased to Mike Early Golf Shops, Inc
- Renton Maplewood Golf Course and Driving Range - Renton Recreation Division
- Richland Columbia Point Golf Course - Managed by CourseCo, Inc.
- Ritzville Municipal Golf Course
- Rock Island Golf Course - City owned golf course is leased out for a set fee and a percent of membership and greens fee (2010)
- Seattle Golf Courses, Seattle Parks and Recreation - Seattle Parks and Recreation owns and maintains four golf courses: Interbay, Jackson, Jefferson and West Seattle. Premier Golf operates them under a contract with the City
- Snohomish County Kayak Point Golf Course, Parks and Recreation - Managed by Access Golf Management, Redmond, WA
- Spokane (City) Municipal Golf Courses, Spokane Parks and Recreation - The Golf Division maintains and operates four championship municipal golf courses, including Indian Canyon, Downriver, Esmeralda and the Creek at Qualchan
- Spokane County Golf Courses, Spokane County Parks and Recreation - Spokane County has three 18-hole championship public municipal golf courses; Hangman Valley, Liberty Lake, and MeadowWood
- Tacoma Metro Parks Meadow Park Golf Course
- Tekoa Golf and County Club - Operates and maintains premise as a municipal golf course and pays the city an annual lease (2010)
- Tukwila Foster Golf Links, Tukwila Parks and Recreation
- Tumwater Valley Golf Club, Tumwater Parks and Recreation
- Walla Walla Veterans Memorial Park Golf Course, Walla Walla Parks and Recreation - Veterans Memorial golf course is part of the Veteran's Memorial Park, Walla Walla's living memorial to the Veterans of all wars
- Yakima Fisher Park Golf Course, Yakima Parks and Recreation - City owned and operated Par 3 – 9 Hole Course
Environment and Sustainability
- Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program for Golf Courses, Audubon International
- Environmental Programs, U.S. Golf Association (USGA)
- Environment and Sustainability, Golf Course Superintendents Association of America - See environmental resources by topic
- Environmental Institute for Golf - The EFIG fosters sustainability by providing funding for research grants, education programs, awareness of golf's environmental efforts and scholarships. It serves as the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America's philanthropic organization.
- Environmental Principles for Golf Courses in the United States, United States Golf Association (USGA)
- Golf Course Best Management Practices, Pennsylvania Environmental Council
- Golf Course Property Restoration, by Robert Edsforth, University of Washington School of Environmental and Forest Sciences, MEH Project, 2013 - Discusses ecological restoration and sustainable development of golf courses, the goal being to maximize ecological function and enjoyment of the game. Uses examples from golf courses in Western Washington State.
- The New American Golf Course, Garden Club of America - Intended to increase awareness of the benefits of an environmentally managed golf course
- Sustainable Golf Course Development: Creating a Lasting Legacy, Golf Environment Organization, GEO - A joint project supporting sustainability throughout golf development and renovation projects
- Water Saving Tips for Golf Courses and Industrial Landscapes, Maryland Department of the Environment, Water Programs
- Design and Build Your Course Step by Step, American Society of Golf Course Architects
- Fairways to the Green, Public Golf Courses May Have the Upper Hand in the Down Economy, by Pat Jones, Parks & Recreation, January 2010
- Public Golf Courses Undergo Renaissance: Local Governments Fit Golf into Economic Puzzle, by Bill Love, American City and County, March 2005
- Short Courses in Success, by Angela Nitz, Parks & Recreation, January 2008 - Successful golf courses exceed standards for customer service and atmosphere (Available through MRSC Library Loan)
- American Society of Golf Course Architects - Website offers various resources including publications
- Environmental Institute for Golf - The philanthropic organization of the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (GCSAA)
- Golf Course Builders Association of America - A nonprofit trade association of the world's foremost golf course builders and leading suppliers to the golf course construction industry
- Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (GCSAA) - The professional association for the men and women who manage and maintain the game’s most valuable resource — the golf course
- National Alliance for Accessible Golf - An organization working to ensure the opportunity for all individuals with disabilities to play the game of golf. The Alliance is represented by major golf organizations in the United States, organizations that provide services for people with disabilities and others who advocate for the inclusion of people with disabilities into society.
- Professional Golf Association of America (PGA) - Professional organization whose members are the recognized experts in growing, teaching and managing the game of golf.
- United States Golf Association - Together with the R&A, the USGA governs the game worldwide, jointly administering the rules of golf, rules of amateur status, equipment standards, and world amateur golf rankings.
- World Golf Foundation - The mission of the World Golf Foundation is to develop and support initiatives that positively impact lives through the game of golf and its traditional values.
- GOLF 20/20 - A collaborative effort of many forces within the golf industry, from the associations and manufacturers to the course owners/operators and the media, focused on the game and its future