Grant Resources for Washington Local Governments
This is MRSC’s main page to assist Washington local governments in locating and obtaining federal, state, and private foundation grants. It includes resources on grant writing and grant administration as well as general information sources. Please let MRSC know of any additions that should be made.
This section includes how-to guides on grant writing and other related resources.
This section includes information on applying for and administering federal and state grants.
- U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) - OMB leads development of a policy to assure grants are managed properly and federal dollars are spent in accordance with applicable laws and regulations
- Universal Identifier for Federal Grant Applications - Data Universal Number System (DUNS) number - A DUNS number is a unique identifier for businesses and is used by local governments in applying for grants. DUNS numbers are assigned and maintained by Dun & Bradstreet (D&B) and are required for federal grants.
- USA Spending.gov - Searchable database of financial assistance awards made by federal agencies starting in 2011
- Federal Statistics on Income and Poverty, may be needed to determine eligibility criteria
- Washington State Employment Security Department, Washington Distressed Areas List - List of counties where the three-year unemployment rate is at least 20 percent higher than the statewide average
- Washington State Office of Financial Management, State Grants Management - General guidance for state agencies in the management and monitoring of state grants
- Local Government Grant Administration
Many resources are available to help find grants from the U.S. government.
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance - Central resource for financial and nonfinancial assistance programs administered by the federal government. Includes a short summary of each grant program and contact information for Federal agencies that award grants
- Grants.gov - A key resource for finding and applying for U.S. federal grants, administered by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Federal Grant Programs Available to Local Governments
This includes selected federal grant and loan programs that are available to local governments.
Washington State Grant and Loan Programs
General Washington State Resources
The following are key resources for finding grants from state agencies.
- Association of Washington Cities (AWC)
- Grant Alert News Updates - Up-to-date listing of the most recent state and federal grants available for cities, with application information
- Grant Gateway - Provides tools to help plan, research and prepare successful grants
- Infrastructure Assistance Coordinating Council (IACC) - Nonprofit organization of staff from state and federal agencies, local government associations, and others. IACC helps Washington communities identify and obtain resources to develop, improve, and maintain public works programs
- Access Washington Grants and Loans - Index to state programs
Grant and Loan Listing by State Agency
This section lists many Washington State departments and programs with loans and grants. Note: this list may not be comprehensive. Please help MRSC keep this list up-to-date by letting us know of additions and changes.
- Washington State Arts Commission Grants - Includes grants to organizations, statewide partners and grants for education and special purposes
- Washington State Conservation Commission
- Washington State County Road Administration Board (CRAB)
- Grant Programs - Includes Rural Arterial Program, County Arterial Preservation, and County Ferry Capital Improvement Program
- Washington State Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation Grants - Includes Heritage Capital Projects Fund, Historic County Courthouse Rehabilitation Grants, and other preservation funding sources
- Washington State Department of Commerce
- Washington State Department of Ecology
- Grants and Loans Programs - Includes information from a wide array of programs including: air quality, flood control, shoreline management, waste management, water quality, water resources, watershed planning, and more
- Wshington State Department of Health Grant Programs - Grants, loan programs, and other assistance for rural health
- Washington State Department of Natural Resources
- Washington State Department of Transportation
- Washington State Recreation and Conservation Office (RCO)
- Washington State Library Grants Information
- Washington State Public Works Board - See information on how to apply for construction and pre-construction loans, drinking water loans, and energy/water efficiency loans
- Washington State Transportation Improvement Board (TIB)
- TIB Grant Programs - TIB typically issues a call for projects each summer with applications due at the end of August
Other Grant Resources
The following are additional resources on finding grants, including those from private foundations.
- Environmental Finance Center (EFC), Boise State University - EFC for U.S. EPA Region 10; provides financial outreach assistance to those facing the costs of environmental compliance and protection
- Grant Space, Foundation Center - Learning community for the nonprofit social sector; also of interest to local governments seeking foundation funding (Some information is available to subscribers only)
- Philanthropy Northwest Information for Grant Seekers - General information and Northwest Funders Directory (database of Northwest foundations, available to subscribers only)
- Washington Foundation Databook & CD, C&D Publishing, 2011 - Ordering information
- Thompson Publishing Group - Grants - Publications available for purchase
- GrantStation.com - Online funding resource for organizations seeking grants throughout the world; includes a comprehensive online database of grantmakers (requires membership). Subscriptions to GrantStation Insider available through Washington State Department of Commerce
- National Association of Counties Find A Grant - Federal Grants Clearinghouse (members only)
- National Grants Management Association - Resources for grants managers
- Puget Sound Grantwriters Association - Researching Funders
- The Grantsmanship Center - Training, publications, online resources