Marketing the Community for Economic Development
To attract business, industry, or visitors a community must market itself beyond its geographic boundaries. A marketing program may include advertising in printed publications, use of other media, public relations, promotions, and an Internet presence. This page offers examples in addition to those listed on the downtown development and tourist development pages.
- Planning for Tourism - includes marketing plans and references, MRSC
- Castle Rock Strategic Marketing Plan: Overcoming Development Barriers and Positioning Castle Rock for Success (), prepared by Chabin Concepts, Inc. and Marketek, Inc., 2005
- Kirkland Tourism Program: Marketing Action Plan (), updated 2003
- Longview Assessment Findings and Suggestions (), Destination Development, 2008 - A community tourism assessment done in February 2008 for building a "Community Branding, Development and Marketing Action Plan."
- Moses Lake Community Branding, Development, and Marketing Plan ( 13 MB), Destination Development, 2007
- Oak Harbor Waterfront Redevelopment, Branding and Marketing Program - Part of comprehensive plan. Adopted into the Comprehensive Plan by reference; scroll down page to waterfront plan
- Renton Community Marketing Campaign
- Snoqualmie Economic Development, Branding and Marketing Plan (), prepared by Destination Development, Inc., 2006
- Woodinville Economic Development Strategic Action Plan, Volume 1: Strengthening Our Unique Community and Economy (), Berk and Associates, adopted 2008
- 10 Things You Need to Know About Branding, Destination Development, posted 06/02/2011
- The Art of Branding a Community (), Destination Development, via Edmonds Economic Development Commission
- Bringing Brands to Life: Community Branding: From Development through Implementation, by Don McEachern, Association of Washington Cities, via North Star Destination Strategies, captured 07/31/2007
- City Branding Can Impact Economic Development (), by Caitlin Geary, Nation's Cities Weekly, 07/05/2010
- The Difficult Job of Branding (Universities and Cities). Smart City Radio
- Place Branding - A quarterly review of branding and marketing for national, regional and civic development - Palgrave MacMillian
- Putting Communities at the Center of Branding (), by Don McEachern, Public Management, 06/2006 via North Star Destination Strategies, also (Available through MRSC Library Loan)
- The Branding of Atlanta, by Bill Wolpin. Editor's Viewpoint. American City & County, 11/2005
- Why City Brands Run Out of Steam and Yours Doesn’t Have To (), by Bill Baker, President, Total Destination Marketing
- Destination Development Case Histories - See Washington clients
Total Branding Projects
- Edinburgh (Scotland) Regional City Brand - Site created to develop and promote the city's brand. It is the official introduction to 'Edinburgh Inspiring Capital'- the Edinburgh City Region Brand. Users are invited to explore the website for information about the brand and access brand materials and resources
- Mounds View, MN Branding Project - Provides timeline documents on process
- Toronto Unlimited - Provides information on the Toronto Branding Project
Business Retention - Economic Gardening
- Economic Gardening, Center for Economic Vitality, Western Washington University
- Economic Gardening: Next Generation Applications for a Balanced Portfolio Approach to Economic Growth (), submitted to (SBA)by Steve Quello, CCS Logic and Graham Toft, Growth Economics on Small Business Administration Office of Advocacy, State and Local Economic Research Web site
- Eyes Wide Open, a Practical Guide to Business Retention, by Del Birch, Public Management, 08/2009
- Growing Local Economies - Offers training, research and consulting by Christine Hamilton-Pennell. See Resources
- Indie Power: Buy Local & Buy Independent Campaigns, by Jeff Milchen, Main Street News, 07/2009 (Available through MRSC Library Loan)
- Ohio Business Retention and Expansion (BR&E) Initiative - Ohio State University
- To Grow Small Businesses, Doing What Local Governments Do Best is Best, by Christiana McFarland, Cities Speak.org (Official Blog of the National League of Cities), 01/06/2011
- Local Government Programs for Business Expansion and Economic Gardening
- Buy Local Campaigns
- Bothell Resolution No. 1177 () - Declares October 24-31, 2005, as BuyBOTHELL week and encourages all citizens to participate in the ongoing BuyBOTHELL Program.
- Clark County Eight local Mayors Urge Residents to Buy Local, Vancouver News Release, 09/24/2012 - Includes resolution
- Port Angeles Choose Local - Choose Local PA is a local initiative created by the Port Angeles Forward Committee at the behest of the Port Angeles City Council. Its aim is to educate residents as to why their support of the local business community is a direct benefit to the community as a whole and to the individuals who live there.
- Snohomish County - Snohomish County Joins ‘Buy Local for Transit’ Campaign, Media Advisory (), 11/18/2010
- Woodland Resolution No. 586 () - Urges residents of Cowlitz and Clark Counties to "Buy Local" and use local businesses where possible.
Marketing on the Internet - Examples
Advertising Economic Development Opportunities
- Bellevue Economic Development - Provides economic data, how to grow a business, and information on economic trade
- Federal Way Economic Development - See "Federal Way - It's all within reach!" video
- Forks Economic Development Opportunities - Focus is on industrial park, the airport, and the technology center
- Kitsap Economic Development Alliance - Provides comprehensive information on the merits of Kitsap County
- Pierce County Economic Development Division- Focus is on assisting businesses in Pierce County; includes site selection and planning, financing, permit assistance, business retention services, data and analysis
- Renton Economic Development - Highlights community and provides links to business, educational, and demographic resources
- Richland Economic Development Office - Provides vision and mission; and links to information on available sites and buildings, business retention expansion survey, doing business here, and a community profile
- Seattle Office of Economic Development - Provides a Business Portal; provides information on start your business, grow your business, green your business, and provides links for business owners, business districts, and key industries
- Only in Seattle Initiative - The Only in Seattle Initiative works with businesses, property owners and other community leaders to organize around a common vision for a business district and attract investment.
- Sedro-Woolley Industrial Parks, Chamber of Commerce - Provides information on industrial parks and tenants of the park, global businesses in the area, and other industires
- Tacoma Business Assistance - Provides information on choosing a location for your business, available properties, starting a business in tacoma, economic gardening program, business incentives, business loan program, neighborhood business district program, small works roster, film and movie location assistance
- Vancouver Economic Development - Economic Development Services is dedicated to improving, enhancing and diversifying Vancouver’s economic and business climate. Site provides information on downtown revitalization including housing, business development, policy guides, and economic development resources
- Yakima County Development Association - Provides one-stop source for all the information and assistance that is available to local businesses from a network of government agencies, chambers of commerce, colleges and universities, and other important non-profit service providers.