Geographic Information Systems
Geographic information systems (GIS) are computer-based systems used to store, display, and analyze geographically referenced data, i.e., data identified according to their locations. GIS are also defined as computer-based mapping and information systems that enable the user to analyze geographic data in a variety of ways. GIS have a wide variety of applications for public works, planning and permitting, public safety, and other local government activities.
This webpage provides links to examples of Washington city, county, and state GIS services.
Basic GIS Information
- What is GIS? – The Guide to Geographic Information Systems - Introductory guide to GIS (provided by ESRI, GIS software developer)
- ArcGIS Explorer Desktop, ESRI – Free GIS viewer available for download that provides an easy way to explore, visualize, and share GIS information
- Ferndale - Maps and GIS - Includes explanatory graphic
- Seattle - About GIS - Introductory information regarding GIS at the city of Seattle
Washington County and City GIS Services
The following are examples of GIS services offered by Washington local governments. These include interactive Web-based maps and maps and geographic data available for download.
Internet GIS Viewer
- Kennewick GIS – Virtual Kennewick, download GIS data, view and print GIS maps
- King County
- Parcel Viewer 2.0 - Interactive Property Research - Basic Assessor's data
- iMap - Interactive Mapping Tool
- NWMaps - Access to map-based information from Bellevue, Bothell, Issaquah, Kenmore, Kirkland, Mercer Island, Renton, Sammamish, Shoreline, Snoqualmie, Tukwila and Woodinville, provided by eCityGov net
- Pierce County Neighborhood Crime Map
- Department of Planning and Development
- DPD GIS - Interactive maps using Seattle GIS data and Microsoft Virtual Earth. Includes option to click a parcel to view the parcel data.
- DPD Activity Locator - View permitting activity in Seattle from July 2005 to present, using Microsoft Virtual Earth
- My Neighborhood Map - Services and crime statistics by area
- Spokane County - SCOUT - Interactive mapping application
- Tacoma - govMe Map
- Walla Walla County - Geographic Information Systems - Interactive Map - Includes cities of Walla Walla, College Place, Waitsburg, and Prescott
GIS Data Downloads
Other GIS Services
- Edmonds - GIS Maps - Includes zoning, planning, annexation, public works, and city services maps
- Seattle - Express Mapping Service - Simple, pre-designed maps available for purchase
- Spokane County - Regional Site Selector - Interactive map with information on available commercial properties, business locations, land-based GIS information, demographic and market information. Partnership includes cities of Spokane, Spokane Valley, Liberty Lake, Cheney, and Avista Utilities
- Yakima County - Center for Geographic and Statistical Analysis - A program to assist other agencies and organizations in the use of county geographic and statistical information
The following are sample GIS agreements, ordinances, RFPs, and forms from Washington jurisdictions.
Washington State GIS
This section includes links to key Washington State agencies with GIS maps and data.
- Washington State Department of Ecology Geographic Information Systems - GIS maps, data, application, and services in support of the agency's mission of protecting the land, air, and waters of the state
- Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife - Maps and Data Products - Interactive mapping includes SalmonScape, GoHunt, Priority Habitats and Species (PHS) on the Web, and Marine Bird Density Analysis
- Washington State Department of Health Geographic Information Systems - Interactive and hard copy maps, data, and more
- Washington State Department of Natural Resources GIS Data Center - Natural resources and related data for use with GIS software; includes sidebar with related links to other state agencies with GIS data and maps
- Washington State Department of Revenue - GIS Data Downloads - Tax data
- Washington State Department of Transportation
- Washington State Office of Financial Management - Get GIS Data - Population and Census information
- Washington State Geospatial Clearinghouse - Part of National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) national network
Public Disclosure GIS Issues
- Bothell Public Records Disclosure Policy & Procedures (), Administrative Orders, 06/21/2012
- Court Decision - Thomas Drummond v. City of Bellevue, King County Superior Court Case No. 93-2-22537-7 (1993). The city's GIS database systems were determined to be subject to full public disclosure and not a trade secret or subject to the Trade Secret Act (not available in electronic form)
- Geographic Information Systems Data Requested for Commercial or Non-commercial Purposes (), in Public Records Act for Washington Cities, Counties, and Special Purpose Districts, Report No. 61 Revised, September 2013 - Useful summary of legal GIS issues associated with public disclosure