Energy Efficiency and Conservation
Energy conservation programs can help local governments and citizens manage energy costs and protect the environment through energy efficient products and practices. The programs are a component of sustainability policies, which address environmental issues such as renewable resources and climate change. This page includes energy conservation resources as well as illustrations of emergency measures taken during recent supply shortages.
The links to actions of local governments related to the temporary energy supply shortage of 2001 have been retained for reference should another energy crisis occur in the future. Other information on this page relates to other ongoing energy conservation programs.
Energy Code Information
Energy Conservation Programs and Consumer Information
Local Government Programs
- Chelan County PUD Energy Conservation
- Ellensburg Energy Services Conservation and Renewables
- Edmonds Energy Conservation - EdmondsEnergy is part of the City of Edmonds sustainability website dedicated to the subject of energy in the Edmonds community. How is energy used in Edmonds? What can we do to conserve and reduce energy use... and reduce what we pay on a daily basis?
- Issaquah Saving Energy
- King County Energy Efficiency, Conservation, and Cost Savings
- Kitsap County
- RePower - RePower is a Kitsap County-wide program dedicated to helping you save money through energy efficiency to increase the comfort, health and safety of your home and create local jobs. RePower provides in-home energy assessments; energy-efficiency financing and incentives; and a local, skilled workforce to make it easier and more affordable to achieve these goals. Learn how you can get started today.
- Kitsap Green
- Energy Plan
- Seattle Energy Code
- Seattle City Light Global Warming - See section, What is Seattle City Light doing?
- Building Energy Benchmarking and Reporting, Department of Planning and Development - The Energy Benchmarking and Reporting Program (Ordinance 123226and 123993) requires non-residential and multifamily building owners in Seattle to conduct annual energy performance tracking through the U.S. EPA's Portfolio Manager, a free and secure online tool.
- Office of Sustainability and Environment - Site is organized to help find the city's environmental programs and programs managed by the office.
- Snohomish County PUD - Conservation
Energy Planning Tools and Applications
- A Blueprint for Urban Sustainability, Sustainable Energy Planning Office, Gas Technology Institute, 2004 via National Energy Center for Technology - A resource designed to help cities develop sustainable energy plans that will enable communities to meet their present needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. It includes case study examples, technological information, and contacts.
- CALeep Workbook - California Local Energy Efficiency Program - The workbook provides a tool to be used by local officials and community activists to initiate, plan, organize, implement, and assess energy efficiency activities at the local and regional level
- Creating Energy Efficient Communities, "Community Energy," National Center for Appropriate Technology Smart Communities Network
- D. E. E. R. Database for Energy Efficient Resources - California Energy Commission and California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) - Designed to provide well-documented estimates of energy and peak demand savings values, measure costs, and effective useful life (EUL) all with one data source
- Energy Star Programs
- Powering Down Zoning Regulations, by Jeffrey S. Beiswenger, Zoning Practice, 12/2012 (Available through MRSC Library Loan) - Some zoning provisions affect energy efficiency, article provides nine ways to power down zoning for energy savings.
- Toolkit for Community Energy Planning, Community Energy Association (British Columbia), rev. 2006
Water and Wastewater Facilities
- Energy Efficiency Opportunities in Municipal Water and Wastewater Treatment Facilities, American County for Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE)
- Ensuring a Sustainable Future: An Energy Management Guidebook for Wastewater and Water Utilities, Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water, January 2008 - Provides water and wastewater utility managers with a step-by-step method, based on a Plan-Do-Check-Act management system approach, to identify, implement, measure, and improve energy efficiency and renewable opportunities at their utilities.
- Water and Wastewater, Environmental Protection Agency, State and Local Climate and Energy Program
Policy Directives on Energy Conservation
Policy directives from the energy crisis of 2001 have been retained as examples in the event of a future energy emergency.