Sewer utilities, whether operated by a city, county, or special purpose district, have these common goals;
- Develop comprehensive sewer plans for sewer systems;
- Provide for collection, treatment, and disposal of domestic, commercial, and industrial wastewater in accordance with federal and state regulations;
- Establish rates for collection, treatment, and disposal of wastewater that provide adequate revenue for administration, operation, maintenance of the sewer system;
- Provide for customer billing services and processes that are fair, equitable and in compliance with accepted accounting principles.
Planning - Comprehensive Sewer/Wastewater Plans
- Issue Paper on Sewer Utility Status, Puget Sound Regional Council Vision 2020 + 20 Update, July 7, 2005 - This issue paper broadly outlines sewer conditions in the Puget Sound region and identifies where sewer capacity could affect growth.
Planning for Sewer/Wastewater Systems
- King County System Planning
- Kitsap County Wastewater Infrastructure Taskforce (WIT) - Discusses the planning, funding and construction of sewer infrastructure within the urban growth areas (UGAs), as well as prepare policy recommendations and technical documents for implementation.
Comprehensive Sewer/Wastewater Plans
Biosolids are sewage sludge that is a primarily organic, semisolid product resulting from the wastewater treatment process, that can be beneficially recycled and meets all applicable regulatory requirements. The Washington State Deparment of Ecology Biosolids page
provides laws and rules, permitting process, permits and related forms, guidelines, annual reports, FAQs, links to related resources, and contact information. MRSC provides links to some of the local givernment waste water biosolid programs.
- Biosolids, Environmental Protection Agency
- Biosolids Applied to Land: Advancing Standards and Practices, Committee on Toxicants and Pathogens in Biosolids Applied to Land, National Research Council, National Academies Press, 2002
- Biosolids Facts, Northwest Biosolids Management Association - Lists Uses
- Biosolids Management, Organic Farming Systems and Nutrient Management, WSU Extension, Puyallup
- Cornell Waste Management Institute Sewage Sludge
- National Biosolids Partnership, Biosolid Technical Resources
- Slinging Sludge, by Mari Margil, Planning, August/September 2010 (Available through MRSC Library Loan)
- PennWell Corporation, WaterWorld Magazine, Industrial WaterWorld and Water Wastewater International - An online news and technology source serving engineers, managers, and consultants in the Water/Wastewater Industry Worldwide
- Water and Wastes Digest
Wastewater Providers in Addition to Cities and Towns